Media deaths surge in Philippines
MANILA – Even former journalists here are not safe from assassin’s bullets with the killing of a former radio broadcaster in a northern Philippine town last Saturday (27 June, 2010). Police said Jose Daguio, 72, a retired anchor and reporter of state-owned Radyo ng Bayan based in Kalinga some 350 kilometers north of Manila, was feeding his dog just outside their house in the town of Tuga Saturday night when he was shot.
Daguio ran for his life when he saw the gunman carrying a shotgun approaching towards him, according to police investigators.
Supt. Virgilio Laya, Kalinga police director, said shot Daguio who was hit in the right side of his body. The victim died along the way while he was rushed to a hospital.
While still active in the media, Daguio was a hard-hitting radio commentator exposing alleged irregularities in government projects in his province.
The police would not say if Daguio’s killing was related to his work as a former broadcaster or personal grudge.
Daguio was also wounded in a stabbing incident last year.
Last month, Jovelito Agustin, a commentator of radio station dzJC was gunned down.
In May this year, Jerome Tabanganay, announcer of the Tabuk-based radio station dzRK in northern Luzon, survived a gun attack as he was about to enter the radio station compound.